View Single Post
Old 04-29-2005, 01:52 PM

Land prices are interesting to say the least. Almost had to bend my youngest daughters arm 8 years ago to get her to buy 3.18 acres with a barn and junk house for 20k. It was of course a bit of a deal even at that time. Suggested she buy it and put new house up when they could afford it. Now a bare acre lot is 49.9 K in area. What drives cost seems to be governmental restrictions in our area. Funny but all kinds of agriculture land available but difficult or impossible to break up into lots. Taxation will become the issue in the near future overshadowing current costs I am afraid. The price of land seems to be in direct proportion to being able to get required permits to build. My process time for a building permit is about one year now on average before the dancing is over. One son in law is an engineer and every year have to employ his services more and more in the process. Some disscusion if indeed a property bubble is forming in north america. Probably not but twenty years ago building lots were almost worthless in comparison. Quite sad for young people in general if the trend sustains. Also cannot see the benifit for guys in my age group as we cannot take anything with us. Not even our old mercedes.