View Single Post
Old 04-30-2005, 01:09 AM

Refinishing The Wood In My 1979 300sd

I Bought A Grant Mahogany Wheel "$400.00" And Ever Since I Installed It I Hated The Color. It Was Way Too Red. So I Decided To Strip It And Refinish It After Reading The Article On The "diy" Website.

As You Will See From The Pics Attached It Turned Out Really Good.

So, Not Unlike Me I Decided To Go In Knee Deep And Refinish All Of The Wood In The Car To Get A Perfect Match. Getting The Old Wood Out Was Not At All A Problem Until I Got To The Last Nut On The Long Panel Under The Instrument Panel. It Took All Of 45 Min. To Get All The Other Pieces But, The Last Nut On The Far Left Side Was Nothing Short Os A Nightmare. I Had To Disconnect The Duct Work To The Vent And Remove The Speaker. After I Went Through The Learning Curve It Was A Snap.

Here Is A Before And After On The Wheel And A Pic Of The Stripper Applied To All Of The Pieces. When The Diy Page Said 5-12 Applications Of The Stripper He Wasn't Kidding. I Found After Trying 4 Products I Have Had The Best Results With A Product Called Bix A Liquid That You Put Into A Spray Bottle That They Provide.

For Those That Dont Know Of The Website I Will Also Post The Link To The Diy Site. It Has Been A Great Tool.

I Will Keep Ya Updated.

Wish Me Luck.

Dave