View Single Post
Old 05-01-2005, 10:56 AM

1978 300SD For Sale

I'm selling my '78 300SD. The engine has a noise in it, like a lifter tap..but it's pretty loud. I have driven it like that for about 4000 miles. Now it's smoking more than it used to, so I stopped driving it. It still starts and runs and can be driven, but I certainly don't trust it on my 200+ mile daily commute. I know there are more engines around than cars, and maybe someone has a spare kicking around. I bought it a year ago, not running. I put about 25K on it this past year, and invested a few $$ in it to get it road worthy.
Here's what I've done.
All new calipers and pads
Resealed front and rear class for water leaks
Replaced front and rear seats
Added aftermarket cruise control, works nicely
changed oil cooler lines with OEM hoses
Replaced Idler Arm
Front End Alignment
Straight Piped Exhaust (not very loud though...)
Replaced all stereo speakers (and the stereo, but I removed that)
Added a manual valve for the heater core because the automatic controller didn't work reliably
Added infinite blower speed control
Rebuilt vacuum pump
Replaced tires, but put 25K on them. They're OK yet, but not new anymore.
(on edit) Added new style glow plug controller and new Bosch glow plugs
Has new battery, added this winter.

This car also has a veg oil conversion, which can go with the car, or be removed. Either way is OK with me. The power windows and sunroof all work. They do move slowly at times, but they do work. Vacuum door locks still function, including trunk lock.

There might be some other stuff done too, but that's all that comes to mind.
There is very little rust, but it has a spot that is rusted through on the RR quarter panel. All other metal is in surprisingly good shape. The car is green in color, as it the interior, with the exception of the new seats which are brown. I would gladly take pictures for anyone who wanted to see them.
Car is located near Syracuse NY.

With all the new parts it should be worth $1100.00 without the Veg oil setup, especially with the condition it is in, even if you had to replace the engine (which would probably be easiest at this point).
If anyone is interested, please let me know.
If you're interested in the car with the conversion kit, drop me a PM or email.

Joe

Last edited by joebiodiesel; 05-01-2005 at 11:00 AM. Reason: adding glowplug info