View Single Post
Old 05-01-2005, 12:52 PM
dieselarchitect

hybrids

if i remember correctly from my long ago high school physics class the conversion of electrical to mechanical would be a loss of 10 to30% of the energy. i think that a mechanical transmission would be less than 5% loss.

the honda insight is a standard transmission car with electric assist with a storage battery charged by the motor being activated as a generator under decelleration to charge the storage battery. the prius is an automatic, perhaps a constantly variable type (i'm not sure). having driven both i found the insight with stick, to be engaging to drive and it reminded me of a 240d but faster with a torquey feel. the prius was totally devoid of any feel of control, rather like running a video game.

that said, the type system that the insight has seems a logical derivation of current mechanical and electrical technology that will probably become pretty universal on all vehicles that are driven in stop and go mode... i dont see it being on over the road trucks or road graders where braking is not a big part of the picture.

i am not sure why the train engines all are diesel electric. control? perhaps a rail buff can fill us in on that.
[SIGPIC] Diesel loving autocrossing grandpa Architect. 08 Dodge 3/4 ton with Cummins & six speed; I have had about 35 benzes. I have a 39 Studebaker Coupe Express pickup in which I have had installed a 617 turbo and a five speed manual.[SIGPIC]

..I also have a 427 Cobra replica with an aluminum chassis.