View Single Post
Old 05-03-2005, 08:03 AM
1995 E320 SE

I want to try it!

I have been using KIWI cream shoe polish on my steering wheel for a couple of years. It looks great when first applied, but it smudges very quickly and the heat from baking in the sun seems to make it very dried out. It doesn’t come off on my hands or anything and I think it is working to preserve my wheel, but it certainly isn’t perfect. I also have two different bottles of the Leatherique stuff, but it didn’t seem to do the trick for the steering wheel.

I was thinking of trying leather dye from Leatherique, but after the less than stellar experience with the other products, I just forgot about it. Supposedly, the Leatherique dye comes in different gloss finishes for specific applications. I thought that maybe whatever provided the shine in the dye, would act like the original finish on the steering wheel. I think Leatherique also has some type of final finish coating that can be applied, but as I said above, after the disappointment with their other products, I just forgot about using Leatherique.

I think the wheel must have had some kind of protective finish that gets worn off from the constant exposure to the odd oils and persparation on our hands. I wonder if you have stumbled on to the perfect easy solution for the steering wheel. Maybe the stuff for the heels is a little different than the cream for the rest of the shoes. Maybe it is more like the Leatherique dye. The heel dressing must be made to stand up to more harsh conditions than the typical shoe polish.

I think I would like to try it. What brand did you use and what is the "specific” name of the product? I might as well do the exact same thing you tried, since it is working for you. Is it called “Black is Back”, “Black Edge Dressing”? What brand did you use? Is it more like a liquid than a cream? Does it have any shine to it? Do I have enough questions?

I think it might be like always going back to that same bad relationship with an ex girlfriend.
You feel you love them too much, or you are just too stupid to know any better.

Flickr slideshow of my 1995 E320
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24145497@N06/sets/72157616572140057/