View Single Post
Old 05-04-2005, 12:52 AM
Rogue T Intolerant!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmorrison
Stripped the rear hatch strut mounting bolts, the 12 point 8MM bit part. I , like a fool, thought it was a T40 8 point bit not the 8mm 12 point bit that it calls for. So the hole for the 12 point bit stripped. Stripped, but it was out, thank God.
I used a hack saw to cut an X shape cuts to install it with a large Phillips head screwdriver. That worked fine.
Still needed the 12 point bit for the other side. A local tool supply place had the 4 pieces . So I got them. Great place lots of new and old tools and just some great used junk. Williams Tool in Ft. Worth

Stopped by the local used parts junk dealer, on a whim, and asked if they had a wagon. "Nope", was the reply. Decided to look for other things and there WAS a 78-79 wagon. Asked the parts guy and he though I said an "80" wagon. I actually said a "80'S" wagon. So off to the car for tools. Just bought the 12 point bit set. Well, I remove the rear speaker panel and the bolts in this wagon were 8 MM ALLEN. Figured I would come buy in the morning to get them, Probably not a big run on the strut mount bolt. Realized the 12 point bit is 8MM Allen at the base so I used it to remove one bolt. The other one, the owner must have stripped. Could not get it out for anything.
The yard owner was great, asked if he could hold it since I only had $1 in my pocket. He said "no charge". The Mercedes dealer wants $27 for the bolt. So tomorrow I replace the bad bolt and since I have the 12 point tool, I'll finish the job.

Can't figure out why Mercedes changed from the "normal 8MM Allen wrench" to the hard to find 12 point 8MM bolt????????????

One final item, I think I need new rear speakers, the flexible membrane around the main cone, well I don't have ANY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But I do have a pair of 4 inch speakers ready to go.

Dave
Hey Dave,
Where in Ft Worth is this yard, if you don't mind me asking. What kind of shape was the wagon in? I have had no luck finding anything on the Dallas side of town.
You can answer here on PM me. By the way, tomorrow my wagon will have been in Colleyville for a month now. Don is having tremendous problems finding the reason for my smoke. He is frustrated with it for sure.

Gone:
'95 E300 188K "Batmobile" Texas Unfriendly Black
'85 300TD 235K "The Wagon" Texas Friendly White
'80 240D 154K "China" Scar engine installed
'81 300TD 240K "Smash"
'80 240D 230K "The Squash"
'81 240D 293K"Scar" Rear ended harder than Elton John