View Single Post
Old 05-09-2005, 07:58 AM
"The Wizard of Oz"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grdenko
heres what i understand:

WVO: waste vegetable oil - is used vegetable oil (as in, yesterday i was cooking my lunch in it, now im burning it in my engine) has to be filtered and congeals at a lower temperature than straight, unused vegetable oil and has to be kept warm so that it will be able to flow throught the fuel lines and the IP, but is essentially free and easy to find.
The melting point depends on a couple of things:
The source oil - Canola, Oilive, Soy, Hydrogenated Soy, Hydrogenated Palm oil, Tallow. Only some are liquid at room temperatures
The items being fried - Home cut potato chips will not lower the melting point, but pre-fried potato chips, chicken, roast meat dripping, etc will.
Quote:
SVO: straight vegetable oil - new vegetable oil, corn, soy, peanut, canola etc. requires no filtering because its new, is fluid and only has to be heated in colder climates, but is expensive.
The SVO melts at different temperatures: - Canola, Oilive, Soy, Hydrogenated Soy, Hydrogenated Palm oil, Tallow. Only some are liquid at room temperatures, this is not bad, only different!
Quote:
Biodiesel: either one but with a chemical additive so it requires no conversion and is commercially available in some places.
Not an additive, a chemical reaction processes any VO or animal fat into biodiesel. Again, the melting point is variable and is related to the oil feedstock for the biodiesel process. Higher melting point oils give higher melting point biodiesel, but many degrees lower (I have a sample of tallow which is solid @ 40'C and it makes biodiesel which is liquid around 10'C
Quote:
Another thing i read about but have not heard mentioned in this forum is GTL:
"Another intriguing alternative to oil comes from natural gas. Gas-to-liquids (GTL) is the clunky name given to a set of fuels that can be blended into conventional diesel and used in today's engines. They have the advantage of being super-clean, as well as boosting the potency of diesel fuel. Though they can be made from coal or biomass, the most likely option is natural gas." - The Economist April 28, 2005

My questions:

Is what i said above correct? what fuels can I use that require no conversion at all? how warn do SVO and WVO need to be to keep them flowing? what is this GTL and is anyone using it? can it be blended into WVO/SVO instead of methanol to make biodiesel? can any of these fuels increase maintenence or shorten engine life?
You missed out on WVO blends with biodiesel, Petroleum diesel, kerosine or gasoline. VO, WVO Biodiesel and blends all have advantages and disadvantages and climatic conditions will require different engineering approaches for different fuels. Basically, high MP oils will require heating or a low % blend (<30%VO)to allow their usage. Low MP oils will require less heat and may be suited to "single tank" conversions, or high % blends (>30%VO). This does depend on your IP being suited to the high viscosity of these fuels. WVO & VO blends with more liquid fuels can be a useful way of trying out renewable fuels, but may have problems associated with them if the diesel is a high wax fuel.
With ANY VO conversion, I recommend adding a fuel heater to minimise the potential for carbon build up in the combustion chambers.
I aim for a fuel temperature of 80'C before selecting the VO fuel.
Biodiesel can be blended with diesel kero or gasoline to overcome any melting point issues and should not require heating unless made from High MP oils/fats.
Elizabeth '81 280E, sporting a '79 300D engine.
Lucille '87 W124 300D non-turbo 6 cylinder OM603, Pearl Grey with light grey interior

Various parts cars including 280E, 230C & 300D in various states of disassembly.

Last edited by TonyFromWestOz; 05-09-2005 at 08:04 AM.