Thread: Glow Plug Relay
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2005, 01:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbenzgoodyear
Well I did a few things. I took all the plugs out and connected the to a battery to see if they would get hot, and all five got hot quickly( not sure of the temp). Then according the the trusty haynes manual I hooked up the ohmmeter (set on 200) to the glow plug controller and checked for an infinity reading, which none had. I also checked voltage at the pins on the controller to be sure they were getting 12V when the key was turned on.

From what I can tell the indicator light had no problems, unless the plugs are shot. I just bought new glow plugs and am going to install them this afternoon. I have also inspected the wires going to all the glow plugs and they seem to be good, no exposed wires or cracks in plastic covers.

Also the old relay was not getting any power to it, so I tested the power lead to it and there was juice to it. I can only conlude that the relay itself was not working, as the fuse on it was good.

I will try to replace the glow plugs today, see if that helps Does this seem like the correct path to take, I believe it is from what I have read here on the forum?

Some things are making no sense.

You previously indicated that the glow plugs were getting 12V, prior to changing the relay. Now, you state that the old relay was not getting any power to it. These two statements contradict each other.

You previously indicated that the glow plug indicator light was not behaving correctly. Now, you state that the indicator light "had no problems". Was this observed after changing the glow plug relay?

The sequence of events is escaping me and without a clear and concise timeline of symptoms and events, we are going to get FUBAR, as Mr. Hunter would say.