View Single Post
Old 05-13-2005, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dculkin
You definitely need to fix that "Early American" thing, although it never occurred to me to be changing my license plates.

My favorite license plate slogan is in Washington, D.C.: "Taxation without Representation", a reference to the outrageous denial of voting representation in Congress for citizens of D.C. There is no legitimate reason to deny them representation. The only reason the deplorable situation continues is that the Republicans know that representation for D.C. means an almost automatic, permanent Democrat seat in Congress. In other words, Republicans don't care about democracy, only power.
Well, maybe because like Guam or Puerto Rico, it's not a state, and also doesn't bear many of the responsibilities of a state. Besides, even though the region has benefitted enormously since its inception by being constructed with a cohesive plan and constantly infused with federal funds, it has managed to squander those resources relentlessly. If it were to be granted statehood, this unfair advantage would allow it to easily wrest the thorny crown of corruption from the Great State of Connecticut, which has struggled mightily to beat out such formidible contenders as RI and NJ!

"Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement."

listen, look, .........and duck.