View Single Post
Old 05-17-2005, 09:52 AM

I had the same car and have recently sold it. Great car. I don't know what your previous owner had maintained on the vehicle, but it should serve you well. Here are a few quick pointers:
-Rear differential goes out on these. Replace differential fluid with full synthetic right away. If it has not already been done. Mine started to go and it created a whirring noise which was extremely annoying.
-It will probably need new suspension if the stock hasn't been replaced. I had to replace my stock struts and shocks at 150,000 miles.
-The driveshaft support bearing will go. While you're at it, replace the complete driveshaft. There are about 3 u-joints that cause noise and once you replace the support bearing and 3 u-joints it will be very quiet.
-This car will rust like crazy. Make sure you wash inside the wheel wells and undercarriage.
-Watch for your master and slave cylinder on the clutch. You will know when it stops working because the clutch pedal will feel weird and you can't shift gears.
-Check your ball joints because these go. I had a wheel fall off one time, luckily I was going slow.
-Make sure you clean and lube the sunroof rails. It is expensive to replace the motor.
-Check your belt shock.
-Window motors will go... but that is typical for its age.
-In the winter time-Adjust your motorized seat without sitting in it. My motor didn't like the added weight when it was very cold out. I'm a fat guy, so that doesn't help either.
-Check your wheel bearings. I had a few of these go. One of them was a misdiagnosis of the driveshaft bearing.
-I never used synthetic engine oil. Just regular oil changes at 3,000 miles on the dot. Never had one oil leak.
-Check your vacuum pump which runs the ignition. This was my breaking point on selling the vehicle, plus all the rust.

Enjoy your new ride. You'll really like the fact that it get awesome MPG.
-1999 Mercedes S500 Grand Edition (80,000 miles)