View Single Post
Old 05-26-2005, 08:28 PM
Banned

I bought a 300E without doing any research and without knowing anything about B-B except for an assumtion of quality engineering and manufacture. Spent $3K for the car and another $4K on repairs and such--repaint (cheap), new exhaust, transmission work, new water pump, new distributor, new A/C evaporator, and new engine mounts. Work that needs doing includes repairing the rear windows, new alternator, new grille, and new console wood. If I had a lick of sense back then I'd have found this sites FIRST and used the search function: Every problem I experienced was predicted or described on this site. Then I'd have had the knowledge to let that car go and look for another. I really like the car, but it sure isn't worth $7k to me or anybody else.

Having learned an expensive lesson, I hunted and found a great E320. It is rock-solid, low maintenance and looks great. I spent less on it than I did on the first car.

Of the two cars I own, the 300E is more comfortable but the E320 is better handling (both are W124's), IMO. Someday I'd like to own a W124 300D turbo. I really like the handling of the W124. Of these cars, I think the 126 wins for looks, hands-down. It just speaks of elegance and honest power without being pretentious. The 124 wins on handling.

However, I have only driven 126's, 123's, and 124's so my experience is very limited.

Hope that helps.