View Single Post
Old 05-31-2005, 03:52 AM

Glad to see some interest.
I have been studying/ reading/ walking the battlefield on odd days for years. I think I understand what happened on July1, and July3. July 2 is, to me the most interesting day. A lot of activity, much of it lost in the fog of battle, and probably will never be fully understood. The caldron of fire from all directions near "the stony, little hill" ( Not LRT), near the wheatfielf is, to me, baffling. It seems like troops from both sides sorta wandered there and began firing with no one in command knowing who was where.
I ponder the bravery that casues men to stand almost muzzle-to-muzzle and fire at each other. The fear of running and being called a coward back home was probably worse than the fear of death.
JLC ( Joshua Lawerence Chamberlain) probably gets all the acclaim he deserves; a truly great American! But there were others, many whose name, and even their deeds have been lost to history.
Then there are the politician-generals, who, for personal glory/ fame, ignore their orders , ( or diliberately misinterpret them) and send thousands of good men to needless deaths.
All in all, a fitting way to celebrate the Americans" who here gave that last full measure of devotion...."