View Single Post
Old 05-31-2005, 10:42 PM

Don't forget the Whitworths. There were 2 at gettysburg which fired a hexagonal "bolt" from the north end of Seminary Ridge ( by the present Peace Light) to union positions on Cemetery Ridge, a distance of about 2+ miles.

As for the tactics being outdated by the weapons--the soldiers figured it out before the generals. Its amazing what an imprevement the mine' ball was---A conical round that was of a smaller diameter than the bore, so it could be rammed down the barrel, but with a concave back, that expanded and filled the rifling grooves when fired and had tremendous range and accuracy.

They weren't stupid. But I believe that because they were recruited from towns, and placed in regimebnts by towns, soldiers could not run away. Those left would remember that _____ ran and brand him a coward. If that happened you couldn't go home, ever. So you stood in line, and probably peeed your pants and did your " duty".

Its the command and control of troops spread out over miles and miles of field and then commanded by generals who might intentionally mis-interpret your orders that mystifies me.