View Single Post
Old 06-02-2005, 12:49 PM
Senior Benz fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac2012
SSI payments are kind of like a user fee, for using the accumulated capital improvements that we inherit from the previous generation. When I make big $$ remodeling a house, I'm leaning on the old farts in a nursing home who built the house to begin with. Private accounts sound nice, but as Krugman points out, investment fees take 20 to 30% of the money. And there will always be fools who can't figure the system out and I would rather see them squeak by on small SS payments than be begging on the street. Enough of that already.

The killer point in that piece was:

"The math of Bush-style privatization works only if you assume both that stocks are a much better investment than government bonds and that somebody out there in the private sector will nonetheless sell those private accounts lots of stocks while buying lots of government bonds."

"So privatizers are in effect asserting that politicians are smart - they know that stocks are a much better investment than bonds - while private investors are stupid, and will swap their valuable stocks for much less valuable government bonds. Isn't such an assertion very peculiar coming from people who claim to trust markets?"

I think Paul's right, there is no free lunch.
Well the liberals chose to stick their heads in the sand and pretend there is no problem....and anything is better than doing nothing.....funny we don't see the libs presenting any alternatives.....
1983 300D W123
1975 Ironhead Sportster chopper
1987 GMC 3/4 ton 4X4 Diesel
1989 Honda Civic (Heavily modified)
---------------------
Section 609 MVAC Certified
---------------------
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche