View Single Post
Old 06-05-2005, 08:47 PM
Renaissances Dude

Back to the driveway,

TA - DAHH!!! Bonehead and I agree on something.

I think that is indeed the stamped-on concrete work, though I'm not positive. In the first picture, you can see the edge, clearly there's the concrete, but it looks a bit like you can also see the edge of some tile. Another aspect that makes me uncertain, I can't see the pattern repeat itself anywhere. Then again, in the second photo, you can see the straight line in the middle, wider than the other joints, and this makes it look like it is the stamped type. Looks quality. I don't know how they escaped the repeating pattern syndrome.

That's one of the drawbacks with this stuff. A recent job I did, a friend of mine did the lady's driveway in a cobblestone pattern. It was OK but each stamp was identical, they had about 4 of them, about 2' x 4' -- I don't know why the manufacturer couldn't have had four different patterns available. The repetition of the pattern was so obvious, it detracted from the effect for me. Still, not bad.

There are many styles and colors available; they use a dye powder, really dry, like talcum powder, that serves a dual purpose: it imparts the color and prevents the stamp from lifting up wet concrete. Another job I was on, they used a black powder and a stamp that gave the look of slate, but w/o any seams. They managed to overlap it so that each one blended into the next. Looked really good.

This stuff is a bit tricky, and getting a good job might be a bit spendy. It's not something for the do-it-your-selfer, not the first time anyway.

And BHD, interesting story on the Ferrari/Lambo guy. Long on money, short on good sense. How does that happen? I'd heard that on the older Ferraris, you need to pull the engine every 10,000 miles to redo the timing, etc. Oh boy.

This underscores for me again, that we need to talk cars and other trades only, and put the politics aside. We're just going to give each other headaches, not to mention everyone else.

Last edited by cmac2012; 06-05-2005 at 08:55 PM.