Thread: Land Ho!
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2005, 11:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac2012

I’m thinking maybe to retire as a high school math teacher. I had a really good one in high school and I’d like to repay the debt. Now if I can just remember the finer points of Newton’s method for deriving the zero roots of a complex polynomial. I wrote a computer program (Pascal) in ’85 which successfully ran that formula and I can barely remember how it goes.

BTW, ...Hitchens is a fascinating fellow....
When I took my current position I remembered enough math that I knew I needed help and quick to get the discipline of mind back into the groove. I am no mathematician, but I use math a lot. Sort of like a plumber uses pipes but is not a mechanical engineer. But the analytical discipline need froo (and IMO developed by) mathematics is really essential if you want to use the tools effectively. So I took an intro calculus course (been 20 years or so since I'd had a math course). I worked my ever-lovin' ass off. I worked every homework problem in the book and every one in a Schaum's outline and it was the only course I took. I got by with a solid "B". Don't even THINK about grade inflation B, either. taking the course and passing it gave me confidence to use the tools available in Mathematica. If you like mathematics and think graphically, Mathematica will sweep away all the comuter games you've ever bought. The graphing of functions is just plain amazing. Anyway, if you're thinking about going back into math, take a course at a local JuCo and buy Mathematica.

Concerning the Chomsky/Hitchens debate, it was carried out in "The Nation", for which Hitchens used to write. I'm sure if you Google the two names together you'll get a bunch of links to the letters. I used to read the Nation when Hitchens was there, but more or less quit reading it when he left.

Christopher Hitchens and his brother Peter, were both atheists and communists of the Trotsky school. Both are now columnists though Peter stayed in England and writes a column for the "Telegraph (I think, perhaps one o fthe Englishmen on the Forum knows). Anyway, Peter had got religion (I think Roman Catholicism) and became a stalwart Thatcherite. Christopher is still a bit of a commie and firmly an atheist. Mostly Christopher is as he self-describes, a "Contrarian". He sticks a wet finger in the wind and fights for the opposite side of where people think he would be. But even that is inconsistent, because he'll also embrace the notions of the left that are (IMO) wacky.

He hates Kissinger.
He wrote a book about the evils of Mother Teresa.
He loves baiting people of any religious persuasion whatsoever. Including supporters of the Dali Lama (who he calls a religious dictator without a country).
And much more. Sort of a commie Mark Twain.

So, here's Chomsky, the intellectual darling of the far left. he's smart and erudite. He has great academic credentials. He writes to The Nation that the USA more-or-less deserved the 9/11 attack.

Hitch demures.

Foodfight begins.

Bot