View Single Post
Old 06-14-2005, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddict
Yesterday I finally got a call back from the service manager and was told that 50% is all I'll be getting and MB is doing me a favor since I'm not the original owner and the car is out of warranty. So at this time I have no choice but to accept the offer, and suing for the rest is an option, but another option is to wait a while and see if there's going to be a recall and then I could get reimbursed for my expenses. Last night I submitted a complaint to the NHTSA and this morning I did some more searching on that site and I was almost shocked to see so many complaints regarding the same issue, particularly for the 1997 model year. You'd think with so many complaints there'd be an investigation already. The 96 model year doesn't have as many complaints, probably because there are fewer of these cars, and I didn't do a seach for 98 and 99 but I'm sure there are at least some complaints. One thing I dislike about the NHTSA website is the overlapping vehicle model categories, such as E-class, E320, 320, 300, 320 E and so forth, which make the searching more difficult.
Not only are there different car model categories which overlap, there are different complaint categories - there's subcategories all the way down to springs, but you could have a complaint in any one of about 10 different categories between the car models and types of complaints all for the same model and issue.

Just the fact that one can find multiple complaints in each category tells me the problem is really widespread. Consider that probably 99% of people have never even heard of NHTSA so the vast majority would never file a complaint too.

I love their attitude that they are doing you a favor by paying half since you are not the original owner...as if only the original owner's life is worth them caring enough to pay to fix this safety defect. I think it is all just smoke as they probably would find some other excuse to deny responsibility if you were the original owner.

Personally, I would take the 50% from them now and sue them for the balance just to get satisfaction of knowing I tried.

2013 C300 4Matic
1984 BMW 733i
2013 Lincoln MKz