Thread: euro rednecks
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2005, 03:37 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=narwhal]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst

Whoa there Bot, I drag a root trencher around the area first (if it is to big to dig a burm) and I call the forest service and make sure they have a spot plane available to monitor (the law). My prescribed burns do a lot to rejuvinate the critters, and make the pine plantation grow mucho better. I have never lost a fire, but have pitched in with my backhoe to help a neighbor who did.

I usually do this in the summer, but if you could do it in Feb/March, Turkey hunting wouldn't even be a challenge
MS has about the best prescribed burning laws in the south. As I understand it, as long as you call in the fire and take reasonable precautions, you're protected fairly well from liability lawsuits. When I was in S. MS I worked on a fire crew occasionally. The crew burned 10K-20K or more pine forest per year in Hancock, Pearl River, and Lamar Counties. We cut firebreak with a D-4 pulling a fireplow. I never worked a wildfire (usually set by some nitwit to improve the dear browse) and never heard of an arsonist getting caught. It was a cultural thing. One of the guys I worked with sometimes, "Smokie" Frierson, said when he was a kid they'ed give him a box of kitchen matches and put him up on a mule and tell him, "Go west 'til you run out of matches." West took him to the Pearl River Swamp. Smokie was in his 70's and drove the cat.