View Single Post
Old 06-14-2005, 08:56 PM

I did call Phil and the MB markup is not very large, though it's still significant. According to the body shop the original part number was 210-620-2161. This number has been superseded by 210-620-6761 and Phil was quoting me $1740 for it. The dealer's price is about $2000. So now I know it's true that the price has indeed gone up and it's awfully expensive. The problem is this part supposedly includes the frame rail which I probably don't need and it's not possible to purchase just the spring perch with the apron, though the spring perch itself can be purchased separately for only a few hundred, but in my case the apron is rusted too and I need a new one on both sides. Another solution would be to purchase the spring perch by itself and have another body shop fabricate a piece of metal to replace the apron, but MB would not participate in that and I don't know how reliable of a repair that would be.

Gsxr, you seem to have yet another part number and I'm not sure what the difference is. How did you get this number? Here's a parts schematic that Phil sent me. The spring perch is #71 and #74 looks like the apron/perch assembly but according to the dealer it is for 4Matics only and not applicable in my case.
Attached Thumbnails
W210 Diesel owners: Spring Perch Failure - Please read-snap.gif  

Past MB's: '96 E300D, '83 240D, '82 300D, '87 300D, '87 420SEL