View Single Post
Old 06-14-2005, 09:53 PM

1989 560SL with 66K miles

I am finally ready to pay the price to get my A/C vents working through the center again. Last year, 6/04, when I priced it they told me $1275. That included removing the dash, sterring wheel, etc. and replacing all 7 elements and repairing a cracked heater box. This year it's $1700. They will not do it any other way but what they consider to be the right way. I honor that but cannot afford it.

I really don't want to remove the dash. I understand that it can crack even if the car has been in the garage and not out in the sun a lot.

I called another repair shop today to find out that they where currently repairing another 560SL and invited me to come by. The mechanic had the consol and tunnel removed, glove box, radio, etc. so that you could see the center elements and the cracked heater housing (common problem on 107's). He was going to epoxy the heater housing and replace a couple of elements. He said it was about two days of work. They did not have a finalized price as yet to give me. So I will call them and start researching a couple of shops in my area to do the job without pulling the dash.

I noticed that when you had yours done it was about $400. I live in Newport Beach, CA where everybody has MB and people have money that I currently don't have.

What do you think the job should cost in my area?

Thanks for your reply,

2000 SL500 Silver
2000 SL500 SOLD
1989 560SL SOLD
1988 560SL SOLD