View Single Post
Old 06-17-2005, 03:20 PM

DIY Home-Residential HVAC (A/C) Anyone?

I have been wanting to start this thread for a while since we have some very smart people on this forum, I think we can venture into the DIY residential hvac area also.

I am enjoying learning about auto a/c so much that I want to learn about Residential a/c (central air-R22).

The hvac-talk forum techs are very rude and do not want anybody that is not liscensed and in the busness full time. But I have watched many a trainee moron that has come to my house scratch thier heads, throw parts at the problem, ect....

I have been studying about the subcool, latent heat, supercool, ect... i know how to disconnect the power and take covers off, clean condenser, evaorator, evap drains ect....I even bought some condenser coil cleaner which i am going to use soon. I have R22 gauges and access to 30lb r22 freon.

My unit is a 2 ton Armstrong R22 unit, on the label it says high side 300psi and low side 150 psi, I wonder if this is max? anyone know of a high/low side pressure temp chart for r22?

my tips so far:

Use pleated return filters for better flow, last longer (3-pack $4 at Lowes) change often.

Keep condenser and evaporator fins clean and straight. use your air compressor blow gun or leaf blower.

Make sure evap drain is not clogged and draining.

I did change a bad blower motor once, a squirell cage on a A O Smith $80 motor, looked like a big Benz blower motor!(the tech had the polarity wrong and it spun the wrong way, no flow at the vents, took him two trips to figure this out and switch the wires)

Let's keep this topic going!
1995 GMC Sierra 2WD 5.7L 188K
1983 Mercedes Benz 300SD 239K (SOLD)
1987 BMW 325i 220K (SOLD FOR SALVAGE)

609 Certification