View Single Post
Old 05-18-2001, 08:49 AM

Bill ... The original wires were copper with no resistance. There is a resistor internal to the original rotor (Robby soldered a wire across his for a "hotter" spark). As I recall from a picture of your engine compartment, your have Bosch plug ends so the wires should just unscrew from them. Try going to a speed shop and buying solid core plug wire. Better yet, Star Quality sells the wire for $25 and the plug ends for $9 each. (If you are very frugal, you can reuse your late model Bosch plug ends.)

With that said, I doubt that plug wires are the cause of your cold engine performance (even though southern Texas is never cold compared to the rest of us). The electrical system performance should not change because of changes in temperature. Fuel delivery, however, is very important and a cold engine requires a richer mixture than a warm engine. When cold, my engine needs the choke for the first few minutes until the head warms up. I consider using the choke as normal. I also think that if the mixture is rich enough that you don't need the choke when it is cold, that it would run too rich when it is warm. What we need is an exhaust analyzer to figure out what is really happening.