View Single Post
Old 06-21-2005, 02:14 PM
Senior Benz fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cscmc1
I know they're different, but they're both much better than most any of Triumph's 4 cylinder engines. They make the car roadworthy on modern highways. I would drive my old TR6 or one of my friend's many GT6's anywhere. Now add an overdive (which neither of my cars had, sadly) and you're really cookin'!
True....I wish I had an overdrive for mine....but working ones were real rare and nobody rebuilt them at the time either....you were piecing together used parts to make a gearbox...

NEVER coast a GT6 in first gear and mash the gas..........

You will shear the mainshaft off in front of the driveshaft flange....then try finding a replacement mainshaft...,...

Ask me how I found this tidbit out.

Racers machine the input shaft to spitfire specs to use when racing the 4 cylinder spitfires...overkill for a 4 cylinder...but barely up to the task for a GT6, totally different transmission than the TR6 had...(that one was decent).

Do a search on Grassroots Motorsports...a couple years ago the put a RX7 engine in a Spitfire...the RoStpit project...major work but I would have loved to have driven that car.
1983 300D W123
1975 Ironhead Sportster chopper
1987 GMC 3/4 ton 4X4 Diesel
1989 Honda Civic (Heavily modified)
---------------------
Section 609 MVAC Certified
---------------------
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Last edited by boneheaddoctor; 06-21-2005 at 02:20 PM.