Thread: Audi A8l
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2005, 02:08 AM

boy, do i agree with that comment. my 560sel, even with 250,000+ miles remains my favorite more than 2 person hauler. i maintain it impeccably. interior still appears as if almost new. exterior is in pretty good shape except for the stone dings in the front. bought it new in december of 1986 and it remains an old and faithful friend. has never really let me down. this is the car that caused me to refer to it as a high-speed refrigerator. so sad that benz abandoned its virtues for the w140's.

all the 126's needed was some more acoustic insulation, an improved power steering system, and the 140's v8. i line my fleet up for design analysis, the 126's continue to appear to be the best appearing design. but the little cab is also coherent.

i enjoy the c140. it is quieter. it has more romp and stomp. goes around twisty bits faster. but i wish that the package was within the envelope of the c126. the c140 is just too big and has blind spots. an autobahn cruiser. can be scary on twisty bit narrow roads.

as to the audi, yes, it does have its blind spots. rear view mirrors are too small for instance. outward visibility is worse than my c140.

now, why else would i hate to own one? i have some familiarity now with the electronics. i can see lots of entitlement to garage queening, here.

and i saw the 2000 sonderklasse benz and ml benzes the same way. i had both on order. a 500sel[sic] and an ml55. when i saw the command dash, i refused to accept either one. best decision i ever made.

a previous poster wanted a catalog of options. i want a system of deleting options.

sorry, but beyond engine management[ignition, a:f ratios, etc] there is no reason for computers in vehicles.

and what is so odd is that the folks at ford who manage the design and engineering of the j8 jaguar get it so right. simple. easy to operate controls.

my only complaint is that the pre-aluminum cat had a quieter, more compliant suspension. i am still puzzled as to why some product manager thought that noisier, harsher was an advance.

must have been a trend, toyota did the same thing to the lexus.

do these designers ever drive the cars?

as i see it, if they keep it up, we shall be rushing to find flivvers for our driving satisfaction.

oh, colin, could you please find a way to become resurrected?