View Single Post
Old 06-22-2005, 08:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst

That's an interesting question and interesting response. We had kids for fullfillment of our lives and I am still happy with that reason. To me, it would be narcissistic to live a live withou kids. A self-indulgence.

But OTOH, if folks didn't like kids, I sure as heck don't want them raising any. That's how you make brats that grow into psychopaths. So in that case, childlessness benefits society, and thus, is not narcissism but a form of altruism for them NOT to have kids.
I hardly think it narcissistic. Quite the opposite, I would think having kids so you will be remembered and so you can leave a legacy would be closer to narcissism. I think deciding that the world doesn't need a little you is actually a decision made with a certain amount of humility.

Lou Reed had a song lyric that went something along "I want to have kids so another human will think I'm god" while that is certainly an exageration, I do think there is an element of that in some peoples decision. Sort of like the teenage mother who has a kid because "I want someone to love me"

Again, I'm not knocking having kids, I guess someone has to do it. Just not for us. My dogs satisfy my need to be thought of as god like.