Thread: Viva la France!
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2005, 07:38 AM
MedMech

Too me it's just plain stupid to turn money away, but hey that's me.

One of the most humiliating moments of Oprah's life

"She will shop where people appreciate her business, and she doesn't believe that any longer includes Hermes," one of Oprah's close friend said.
French luxury store Hermes has apologised to American television celebrity Oprah Winfrey for turning her away from one of its Paris boutiques last week, saying when she came knocking the store was closed for a public relations event.

The U.S. talk show host and "an entourage" unsuccessfully tried to enter a Hermes boutique on the posh Rue du Faubourg Saint-Honore at 6:45 p.m. on June 14, Hermes said in a statement.

"People were in the store and they were shopping. Oprah was at the door and she was not allowed into the store," said Gayle King, a friend of Winfrey who witnessed the incident, to American television program Entertainment Tonight. "Oprah describes it herself as 'one of the most humiliating moments of her life.'"

"She's really OK. Her position is, 'I will shop where people appreciate my business, and I don't believe that any longer includes Hermes,'" King said.

Normal closing time is 6:30 p.m., though high-end shops are known to make exceptions for celebrities. On that particular night, however, ``a private public relations event was being prepared inside,'' the Hermes statement said.

"Hermes regrets not having been able to welcome Madame Oprah Winfrey and the people accompanying her to give them all the attention and service that Hermes is committed to giving each of its clients in the world," said the statement released Tuesday. "Hermes expresses its sincere regrets for any misunderstanding that these circumstances could have caused."