View Single Post
Old 06-24-2005, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yal
You could try flushing the coolant yourself and see if the head gaskette is still leaking. I would take it back to the dealer to see if they can determine where they screwed up.

There is a citric flush that the dealer sells (# 000-989-10-25). You mix it with water and run it through the cooling system in a flushing sequence.
Sodium Citrate is a common flushing agent for all radiators. I wouldn't necessarily buy the MB part for this, when some cheap Prestone will work just as well. However, the citrate flushing agents are for removing scale and corrosion from the system, not disolved oil fouling. I'd recommend Shout laundry stain remover first....I'd hesitate to use any dish soap, as these are designed to suds and bubble up a bunch, and I'd be afraid of cavitating the water pump with a solution like that...

I say, use a detergent in the system...then run the car, then drain and flush it all out, then repeat until no more brown goo...make sure the heater is on full blast while doing this. If the goo doesn't go away after a couple of tries, then the head gasket is still leaking. Also, I'd consider replacing the radiator, as the majority of oil is going to plate out there.