View Single Post
Old 06-25-2005, 05:24 PM
Strong, silent type

Quote:
Originally Posted by enochbell
I empathize, we've got two in private college also (twins) but 20 years ago we learned what caused the problem and we stopped at two. That you decided to continue is your own damn fault.

I would strongly suggest you take a look at the V-6. Our '98 E320 has been bullet proof, with regular oil changes we have had no problems (well, one: the blower fan regulator went out at 50k, and required replacement of both the fan and the regulator, and I understand this is common). Otherwise at 126k miles, put on 2 miles at a time (it seemed...this is the errand and kid car) the car is darn near perfect. I understand the straight 6 had a tendancy to blow head gaskets, at least that is what a mechanic friend says.

My typical ownership is to buy a car withe 10k miles, saving some $10-15k in upfront depreciation. Sell after 5-7 years and the cost of ownership, at least with the E-Class, becomes very reasonable.

Just my 2 cents,

Best of luck,

g
We would have stopped at two...but it was so much fun "making" the first two that we did not want to stop.

The engine in my daughter's 1989 300TE has been pretty much bullet-proof. Except for one issue with the wiring harness (which was fixed w/o having to replace the entire wiring harness--thank you Enrique @ Mr. M.B. Motors) the engine has been trouble-free. At 190K it still runs strong!

I'll look at the 1998 and newer models as well.

BTW, does your Benz have the pneumatic seats? How do those things work? Do they make the seats that much comfy or is it just a useless gadget (the Benz seats are already pretty comfy to start with.

Thanks for the input.

And, if I did not live in California, I would get another diesel. Getting a diesel here in the Left Coast is an iffy proposition. One never knows when the government will ban all diesels!

1989 300TE "Alice"
1990 300CE "Sam Spade"
1991 300CE "Beowulf" RIP (06.1991 - 10.10.2007)
1998 E320 "Orson"
2002 C320 Wagon "Molly Fox"

Res non semper sunt quae esse videntur

My Gallery

Not in this weather!