View Single Post
Old 06-27-2005, 03:33 PM

Thanks for reply

Thanks for your reply. Our ML has had this problem since we have owned it almost, so it sounds like we might have the same problem. Since this is wife's car, she rarely notices it anymore because she drives it cautiously to avoid the lurches and clunks.

If you really floor it from a stop, it will give you whiplash when it shifts into higher gear. it doesnt really delay or give high rpms, it just kind of pops into the gear suddenly and it makes your head go back from the thrust.

The main time you feel this problem is when you are decelerating(say coming to red light, and the car is downshifting) and then the light turns green....if you push the gas down too hard, it will jerk itself into the low gear and you get a nasty touch of whiplash(well, its not that bad). So in order to keep it from doing that, you just have to apply gas very slowly.

I know by now that it is not the transmission(at least internal) because after 3 years, I shouldnt have anything left of a transmission. I have tried in vain to correct it...dealers are clueless, indies too, and I have changed fluids, run diagnostics, replaced the transfer case(this helped a little), but the problem remains. I have begged my service advisor in Austin to ride with me since he claims he cant duplicate it on several test drives(Bull$##$), because I can make it do it 100% of the time. He is really pompous and Im glad Im up here in iowa now. Im sorry I dont have an 80K mercedes, cause if I did Id have him kissing my butt! Wait till i get out of grad school. I may go by there just to have him suck up to me.
Havent tried the Iowa City dealer yet, maybe I should see if SOMEONE will let me show them what I mean.

We love our ML, but the trans thing really annoys me. For now, my wife is happy with it other than the fact that the AC doesnt work because of a relay short somewhere under fuse box. We are hoping to fix that this week. Its hot here in Iowa today (95).

Sorry, got off topic. To get back to the trans....I have noticed that the shifter makes a clunking noise when you move from P-D or back, if anyone knows where the TCM is, or if it will reveal itself in diagnostic scanner, please please let me know.

By the way, this scanner is great. I know it will work with my 94 S320 because I have had my car scanned at autozone...its the same one they use...got it on eBay for 80 bucks.

C

1998 ML 320
126K miles

1994 Blue C220
122K miles

Im going to Grad School @ the University of Iowa
Go Hawkeyes!!!