View Single Post
Old 06-29-2005, 01:09 PM
'94 S500: only 793 sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Dalton
I do not believe that sw is a thermistor sw , but rather just a temp on/off sw.
I had a 190E many years ago and I think it's a switch; use an ohmmeter and you'll know.

Quote:
The resistor will only work on a thermistor sensor because it changes the resistance of the sensor [with parellel resistance] in relation to temp. This new resistance just puts the sensors values out of spec enough to create an earlier cut-in of the fan circuit. Out of calibration, but to ones own liking. . .
Calibration is not a proper choice here: The varistors are not calibrated. They are measured as they are manufactured and those that measure within a set tolerance band are ok as usable in the car. That's why some aux fans kick in early (lower temp) that others.

Quote:
An interesting side note to this..
The only reason this resistor bridging will work on these thermistor sensors is b/c the sensors are of the Negative Temp Coefficient design.. meaning , as the temp increases, the resistance decreases.. and when one puts two or more resistors together in parellel, the total resistance also decreases [ei. is always less than any single resistor]. So, you now can change the resistance value of a sensor to have less resistance at a lower temp than the original resistance at that same temp, thereby changing the values of the sensor and allowing for lower temp activation of the fans.
Not sure what's interesting about that. . . it's been well defined on my web page as that's how it operates. BTW, if a varistor exhibited a postive temp coef, then a parallel resistor would still work. Hint: the operation would be reversed.

Quote:
Many think that this fools the control module , but the control mod just works like it was designed .. it is the upsetting of the relationship of temp/resistance specs of the sensor that have been changed/fooled.
Again that's how the Cool Harness operates. From the point of the Control Module, it is "fooled". Of course, it's just a figure of speech, don't take it literally as you have done.

Visit my Mercedes Web Page