View Single Post
Old 06-30-2005, 07:48 PM
I'll Go Upside Your Head!

You can pull the head with the engine in the car, yes. I believe that's what you were talking about the in car rebuild? Anyways, while you have the head off you'll want to do valve guides and seals. These engines tend to need them by now. I'm surprised if yours isn't burning any oil? Basically you want to take the head to a machine shop and have them give it a full valve job which would entail grinding the valves, replacing the seals, and installing new guides.

About special tools, you'll need the large torx socket to fit the cylinder head bolts. If you do a search you should be able to find it. I've never done this job but it's pretty much the same for all MBs in the fact that they take the large torx socket. You can get the tool at Sears or similar store. You may have to replace the cylinder head bolts as they're stretch bolts and are only good once or twice, not sure on that one. You may be able to reuse them if you measure them and they're within spec.

You shouldn't be driving the car, you know that right? Water/coolant isn't a good lubricant. Plus, if allowed to sit long enough to can rust the inside of the engine solid, but that would take a lot of time though it's been known to happen depending on the severity of the leak.

Thanks
David

2000 Honda Accord V6 137k miles

1972 300SEL 4.5 98k miles