View Single Post
Old 07-08-2005, 02:52 AM
Benz Enthusiast

Lexus brake question

I know i know. It's a "mercedes" forum, but I am hoping someone here could help diagnose this issue.
I'm trying to figure out why there is almost a 2 second lag in the brake effect of the 93LS400.
As an example, If i jam the brakes at moderate speeds, it almost takes 2 to 3 seconds of full pedal pressure before something in the system kicks in and applies full force of the brakes and then the car has the full brakes applied with a rapid jerk. The brakes do engage the moment the pedal is pushed but it almost seems as if the callipers arent exerting their full force on the rotors, or as if the rotors were glazed. (which they arent).
The rapid application is OK but it should happen the moment the brakes are jammed. Not after the lag period.
Once however, the brakes are jammed and ABS kicks in, from there on forward for about an hour or so the brake response does not have any lag in it.
Leave the car over night or drive without slamming the brakes and it goes back to the non-responsive, no crisp 3 second lag braking situaiton.
the car has traction. Does this sound like a bad Master Cylinder or should I be looking at a different component ?
any ideas would be appreciated.