View Single Post
Old 07-08-2005, 08:14 AM
Conservative Radical

My Ebay Story

Saw your original post and thought I would put in my two cents worth. It is a very difficult thing to buy a car without ever seeing it in person. With that said, I bought one on eBay. It is a 1985 300TD turbdiesel US version.

The guy who had it listed took four crappy photos, was difficult to make contact with, and had the starting bid price at $2,000. I think the starting bid scared everyone off. I made contact with him and asked for more photos, which he said he would send and never did. So I never bid on the car, and neither did anyone else. After the auction ended, I made contact again and I negotiated a price of $2,400, which I thought was an excellent price given what other TDs are going for on eBay.

During the auction and after, I asked him at least twice if the car had any rust at all, and he said that it did not. I rode the train down to Baltimore from New York to check out the car, and told myself that if it wasn't what he said, that I would walk away. The first thing I looked at was the undercarriage, and found surface rust without much difficulty. Obviously, this guy didn't even look or was lying. But the rust was just superficial except around the AC dryer, the bottom of the rear hatch and the bottom rear of the left rear quarter panel, where there was a little rust through, but still not bad. The car is definately not a rust bucket.

I drove the car and it drove great, negotiated down to $2,250, gave him cash, got the title and drove the car back to Long Island.

So far, I have changed the oil, checked the rest of the fluids, gave it a good cleaning and wax job, and replaced all the brake parts on the four wheels.

I think it was a good experience, given what I paid for the car, but I would be hesitiant to buy another car listed on eBay.

1987 300TD x 3
2005 E320CDI