View Single Post
Old 06-02-2001, 05:04 PM
Woo hoo!

Hmmm, I never thought of that...

Dug,

Thanks for the compliments...

I'm not aware if the xenons draw less power. They were there when I purchased the vehicle. I do notice though that the xenons take a while (several seconds) to reach operating temperature/brightness. I was afraid that if regular halogens would dim with the bass as it does in my existing system (which has the same amplification), then this cannot be too good for the xenons as it would cause them to cycle unnecesarily. I reckon the bulbs as well as the ballasts would be quite expensive to replace.

At the end of the day, the amps would theoretically draw a maximum of around 550 amperes to produce a maximum of approximately 1400 watts...this would have to be supplied by an alternator producing a measly 155 amperes, i think. Although I estimate that the system wouldn't be asked to produce more than, say, 200 on average, and potentially 500 watts on transients, I still suspect that the charging system may not be up to the task...and something would definitely have to give.

At any rate, it has been suggested to me to try installing stiffening capacitors first. This apparently would help the system especially on transients. If that still doesn't do it (but in all likelihood it should suffice) then I would have to think about a higher output alternator and a second battery for the system.

I shall be exploring the stiffening capacitor route first as (1) it makes the most sense (2) less expensive than an alternator and (3) is the easiest to install.

I'll report my findings after the installation and testing.

Thanks everyone!
94 Facelift
RennTech CF Airbox
RennTech ASR Defeat
RennTech Chip
1st Gear Start
97 Range Rover 4.6 HSE Vitesse, Yellow, "Tonka" (sold)