View Single Post
Old 08-03-2005, 05:41 PM

While I sympathize with your rough experience, I have to say in defense of that police man that he may have been on his lunch break. It may seem like a little thing for him to stop and help you, but sometimes you just need to put yourself in another guy's shoes (I know, it sounds trite). If you work a long day dealing with idiots (which is what cops do for a living) and getting little thanks for it, your lunch break becomes sacred, I would imagine. And what he said about the computer getting fried may or may not be true. Either way, there may be some unspoken policy for cops about giving people jumps ... for liability reasons as well as simple time reasons. How annoying would it be if while you were in the middle of your job (or short break), someone asked you for a jump, or directions, or to get their cat out of the tree? Of course, any of those requests would be legitimate and understandable on an individual basis (and certainly don't deserve a rude rebutal), but they add up. It's like when I'm trying to do a million things at the newspaper and someone calls up to ask for a little league score or directions to somewhere. They have no idea what my job entails, so I can't blame them, but at the same time it's very frustrating.

While I certainly agree that some cops are jerks (I've had my share of less-than-pleasant experiences), I think that most of them are underpaid, underappreciated and probably a little overworked. We take them for granted, myself included. And really, aren't there jerks in any profession? There are jerks working fast food registers, jerks who are bigshot lawyers, jerks who are mechanics, doctors, janitors, whatever. So of course some cops are jerks...
2018 Chevy Cruze diesel, 6-speed manual, satin steel metallic/kalahari--19,000 miles
1982 Peugeot 505 diesel, 4-speed manual, blue/blue, 130,000 miles
1995 S320, black/parchment--34,000 miles (Dad's car)