View Single Post
Old 08-04-2005, 08:51 AM
Coming back from burnout

Even after the fire, I luv my 85 300D.. Weary of modern cars..

For awhile I was really PO'd at my 300D after the dash fire after I replaced the engine. Then, the tranny went, too. I cannot believe I actually stuck it out and changed it. It seems surreal now..
I am really starting to LUV my "MODEL T" 85 300D especially now that Diesel is 2.12 a gallon here in SJ. Even after her dash fire, she came to back to life like the true indestructible queen she is. The other day I bumped a wire in the engine compartment and the AC came roaring on ICE COLD, and I was amazed because I thought it had died after a year of non use.

I am weary of modern cars. A car is supposed to be a tool for your Life, something that lurks in the background like your refridgerator or lawnmower, but for some i assume , economically it has become something like the House, a major focus of Life
The other day I saw a Mom pull up in her new SUV and put $50 of gas in it. It didn't take a lot of math to figure out she's paying $900 a month ( Car payment, Gas and Insurance ) to drive the thing.
All that glitzy marketing confuses me. I dont know the difference between an Imprezia or Vitara or Verona, they all sound the same and look the same and they probably all come off the same assembly line.
The fact that they are bringing back the V8 with 32 valves and 360 hp stresses me out. Who needs 360 hp? Gasoline will maybe cost $3.00 a gallon next summer and double that in 5 years...
These new cars all have at least an ICU and an ECU, not to mention, now a CCU ( Climate Control Unit) and a SCU (Suspension Control Unit). I know there are some really BRIGHT People on Shop Forum but the electrical glitches when these thing start to age are not EZ to solve. I am am STUBBORN but not bright. On my temporary SAAB 9000 which I can now sell now that my 85 300D is running, I had a problem with the Central Locking system where I had to practically dismantle the car to find the problem...and still haven't...Can you imagine fixing electrical glitches on a 2005 car?
When my 300D finally rolls over, i will try to find another one, or move to a area where I can ride a Bike or use the T... I Hope I never see the day when a car consumes half of my Pay..

Last edited by Carrameow; 08-04-2005 at 09:10 AM.