View Single Post
Old 08-04-2005, 06:02 PM

Struts/shocks and a belt question

I have a 190d w/ just about 170,000 miles. The all in one belt broke last year and it was fixed by the local "European motor" mechanics. The pulley on the alternator was loose. Now the belt is squeaking up a storm..I'm just about embarassed to drive anywhere. I opened the hood and checked all things that the belt runs, none felt loose. Then I started the car, none wobbled or looked loose from the side. It seems worse when 1st starting the car, in reverse and when turning hard. I want to just spray some wd40 or something, but my dear husband told me NO. This brings me to the 2nd problem $$$.

I think the local "Euro motor" mechanic is WAY too expensive. I called and asked how much it would be to replace the shocks (he told me they need it, and the car "jangles" over bumps, handles poorly, etc). He wants $1100 to install 4 Bilstein shocks/struts (I think from what I've read it's struts front shocks back, but I'm not certain). I think only the front ones are bad though.

I am in California, near Sacramento. Does this sound like a ton too much? I could order 4 Bilsteins for less than $500? I don't think I could replace them though (imagining that it takes some strength), and dear husband is just too busy w/work. The Euro shop also told me it would be $350-400 to charge the AC ($65 a lb?). Thankfully I have found info on this forum and I think I may try the AC fix myself.

I'm still debating on the Bilsteins...I want a very, very stiff ride. We live in the hills, and most of my driving is 45-60 mph hilly/curvy/winding roads. I am used to driving a FWD. This is, in fact, my very first RWD car! I would like the handling to be more like our VW Golf. I know it won't ever be exactly the same, but "stiffer" would be nice. I don't like to roll around corners--though I must say the 190d does hold the road even when rolling...not that I ever drive too fast .

Thanks in advance for any help/info you can provide!

Cathy
2003 VW Golf TDI 5 speed