View Single Post
Old 06-04-2001, 11:02 PM
Wm. Lewallen

Scott and others,
I figured that subtle statement made by Mercedes in their owner's manual about antifreeze, would raise some dander. The only word I added was the word 'required' in parenthesis. And then only because I thought some of you might not know what the word requisite meant. The word 'may' is in the original quote. Let me quote from the Owners Manual again. I will also quote the preceding paragraph;
"Your vehicle contains a number of aluminium parts.The use of aluminium componants in motor vehicle engines necessitates that anticorrosion/antifreeze/coolant used in such engines be specifically formulated to protect the aluminium parts.(Failure to use such anticorrosion/antifreeze/coolant may result in significantly shortened service life."
"While there may be a number of anticorrosion/antifreeze/
coolants available which will provide the requisite(again I insert the word 'required')protection, all such products have not been tested for MERCEDES-BENZ vehicles. The following product, however, is recommended for use in your car:MERCEDES-BENZ Anticorrosion/Antifreeze Agent".
The MB antifreeze is made by Valvoline Oil and is now orange in color. Valvoline also makes Zerex. It too is orange.
I have no stake in Prestone, nor do I own any shares in Honeywell(parent company of Prestone).
I buy the store brand of antifreeze. It is green and is made by Prestone.
Bill Lewallen;Lexington,Ky.
Home of Valvoline Oil, but the orange stuff for Mercedes is not made here.