View Single Post
Old 08-11-2005, 06:29 PM

Location: Cicero, Hamilton County, Indiana about 30 miles north of downtown Indianapolis
Put in a "Push Button" start button

We worked on the 85 W123 again this AM, and just can't find a reason it won't crank, that is crank from the ignition key start position. It will crank from the 3 screw terminal block just forward of the battery. So I am installing neat looking little starter button from Napa and have installed it just a little below and to the left of the ignition switch. So I guess that my starting procedure will be to "glow" then with my thumb push the starter button. I'm sure that someday when I don't expect it, I will find the reason for the "no crank" failure that I have been working with. I think I will also cut off the end of the switch, just that movable last 3/8 of an inch that jabs into the steering column. That locks up the steering column too tight and I think it is very hard on the ignition switch. I don't think the car is a prime candidate for thieves, and the thief would still have to negate the vacuum shut off to get the car. I think cutting off the end and leaving it that way is much easier then the procedure outlined by Mr. Stein in the DIY article on the ignition. Both procedures will work, just cutting it off I think is easier.

1983 Mercedes W123 240D 4 Speed 285,000 on the road with a 617 turbo, beautiful butter yellow, license plate # 83 240D INDIANA

2003 Jaguar Type X, AWD. beautiful, good mileage,
Mom's car, but I won't let her drive it!