View Single Post
Old 08-14-2005, 10:42 AM
Banned

That's really a sad story, Hal. I added up that list, in my mind, and came up with $9K worth of parts. This does not include the "turbine". If you meant another turbocharger, then the cost goes up again.

The time and effort you have done to return it to factory condition is immeasurable. I know this from personal experience with this one and I've not done half of what you have done.

You are in a quandry. If you disclose the issue with the oil consumption (as you probably will), then it becomes a mechanics special. Nobody but a good mechanic will take it on to determine what the issue is. Anybody else will have to assume that an engine change is in order. So, if the vehicle is worth $7K, if everything is in perfect operating condition, what would someone pay for it if they had to replace an engine?

Unfortunately, if I were to do it myself, I would need to budget $3K for this task. So, this immediately puts the value at about $4K. I would think that it will be difficult to sell it at $4K because it will take a very knowledgable buyer to see all the new parts and the value, and then have the knowledge and the skills to obtain and change the engine.

It's really a sad story.

Good luck with whatever you decide.