View Single Post
Old 08-15-2005, 02:57 AM
I LOVE BRUNETTES

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjstef
With that many miles look for a 6 speed or a 94.5 - 97 with a 5 spd. The autos are trash. Other comments on cavitation are true but maintenance records are the only way to tell. THE Cummins suggestion was a LMAO!! A Dodge with that many miles would be falling apart!! Of course the engine would still be purring like a kitten. I have had 2 7.3 IDI's and 3 PSD's and never any issues with them. Highest miles was 276K but i have seen 500K on them.............

A properly built E4OD (turned into 4R100 around 2000 MY) is an excellent transmission. Stock, they leave much to be desired as the coast clutch likes to come apart and the center support bearing is plastic! At 200000 miles, I highly doubt it's the original unit... the stock valve body is very poor. TransGo has an excellent kit that's a breeze to install for them that corrects many of their problems.

Older Dodge's have a similar problem on the 47RE with converter drainback when the vehicle is turned off hurting internals eventually killing it. Needs a properly built valve body and a special shift valve with a check ball in it to prevent this, it's pretty easy to remedy also.

Best trans out there in them is the Allison 1000 in GMs trucks, that Isuzu Duramax is a nice motor. The more simple LB7 motor (without EGR and VVT) are less expensive too, but that newer LLY is a far quicker truck.

IMO - see what's out there before you decide. You may not like the fit/finish of a certain make or model when you drive it.

'85 300SD 245k
'87 300SDL 251k
'90 300SEL 326k

Six others from BMW, GM, and Ford.

Liberty will not descend to a people; a people must raise themselves to liberty.
[/IMG]