View Single Post
Old 08-15-2005, 12:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxr

FWIW, after I replaced the radiator, I could climb I-80 to Reno up steep grades with my foot to the floor (near full power) with the A/C on in approx 95F ambients and my temp would NOT go over 100°C. I think that kind of poo-poo's the theory you guys are coming up with about inadequate cooling capacity. When new, or functioning as new, there is NOT a problem with the 124/603 cooling. However they seem to be very prone to plugging up the radiators internally (the core turbulator fins probably catch more crud than they improve cooling ) and that's my theory why the radiators may need replacement.
Well, Dave, it's certainly possible that the radiator is the culprit, but this one has a "relatively" new radiator and it has no problem climbing up to 105°C. under heavy load for about six minutes.

I wonder how much the radiators degrade with time. Would most radiators that are older than five years of age degrade to the point where "inadequate cooling" becomes apparent?

One other question regarding your test: Did the temp stabilize at 100°? Did this test continue for a long enough period to ensure that the temp. was not climbing? Maybe the hill ended before the temp. stabilized??