View Single Post
Old 08-15-2005, 02:45 PM
Unbanned...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Carlton
I wonder how much the radiators degrade with time. Would most radiators that are older than five years of age degrade to the point where "inadequate cooling" becomes apparent?

One other question regarding your test: Did the temp stabilize at 100°? Did this test continue for a long enough period to ensure that the temp. was not climbing? Maybe the hill ended before the temp. stabilized??
Up to 105°C after extended full load is normal, IMO. However I stil think 115°C or more (except under highly unusual conditions!) indicates a problem that needs fixing.

About radiator degradation, I haven't been able to determine a cause. Some people (like Chris) have original radiators working fine, others have radiators that require replacement in 1.5-5.0 years, well short of a normal/expected life span. I believe it's due to deposits internally but don't have a clue as to why that happens or where the deposits come from.

As to the hill climb up I-80, it's usually 3-6 minutes at a time... enough for temps to mostly stabilize. The only place I know of that's more of a torture test is the Grapevine.