View Single Post
Old 08-15-2005, 07:46 PM

Restart of Stored 450SL

Any tips on restarting a stored 450SL (1974)? I lubed the cyls from the top and soaked it for about 5 days.... then changed the oil and cranked with no plugs for 5 - 8 seconds until fuel pressure came up, then would let starter cool and do it again.....

Great spark and new plugs and 37PSI of oil pressure on starter alone, but it won't fire with fuel or starter fluid poured into intake flap.... The fuel system is dry right now as I've blown it out with an air compressor and am working on getting the fuel pump spinning (or will install a new one).

The car has 120000 miles and was running great when it hit the tree about 8 or so years ago. No clinks or clanks and I've got the fan off but have left the other accessory drive belts in place so far.

Car was simply parked outside, hood down and air cleaner etc intact. No rust or seizing in cylinders and it has good "suck" at the air intake but I have not done a compression check yet.

Anybody have any advice on getting this fallen angel to light up? Is the lack of fuel enough to prevent even a "think I can" vroom on poured-in fuel or starter fluid?

Thanks!