View Single Post
Old 08-16-2005, 10:38 AM
backwoods member

Thanks for the link. I love blueberries, especially frozen ones, but I haven’t picked them before last weekend. There were scads of em at about 6,000' during my hike. There were lots of raspberries and one pea sized strawberry, too. When a tyke, my mom took the kids to pick strawberries around Portland. I remember being under the relentless sun and eating most of what I picked, but still collecting a few boxes and getting something like a 3 cents per box for my efforts. 25 years later I happened by a strawberry patch one day and had a berry good feast. Nothing like freshly picked fruit. Ah, sweet memories.

I didn’t see a reference to the sale price of the farm but was curious as how one could actually make a living by growing and selling blueberries. At Costco you can buy a frozen 5 lb bag of em for a few dollars. At Carpineto’s you can get a fresh flat for about $10. I typically will buy about 10 lbs and store them in the freezer in gallon sized glass jars then pop blueberrycicles through the winter months.

Retiring to fruit farm sounds cool.

BTW I like the avatar! I think the car in the background is my former Jeep.

'00 ML320 "Casper"
'92 400E "Stella"

Last edited by Lebenz; 08-16-2005 at 11:05 AM.