View Single Post
Old 08-16-2005, 12:01 PM

Turbo oil drain - wrenching report

Observatuions associated with last nights replacement of the turbo drain line (2 o-rings, 1 grommet, and the lower tube):

I read what I could get my hands on. The manual was the most amusing. Something like "put grommet in, insert lower tube, reassemble"

I also discussed the job with a forum member who had done it twice before (Many Thanks Mark!)

Background/existing conditions:
- air cleaner assembly removed (could houdini do this work with that sucker in the way?
- engine shocks removed - improved access
- Oil pan removed - helped me to be able to tap lower tube up from below

Random observations:
- 3/8" drive with 13mm with universal enabled me access to both bolts
- mirror very helpful to assess condition of gasket/flange and grommet seating
- I removed AC hose bracket nut to block (17mm shallow on ~5" extension) adjacent to drain tube terminal point to increase access
- I used a strap to gather and hold out of the way the wiring to the alternator, the ac line and the block heater cord.
- I used some sythetic grease (the kind that doesn't eat rubber) to assist grommet install on tube and then grommet install.
- I used hylomar (non-hardening sticket gasket type stuff to stick gasket to flange
- sliding grommet up on lower tube then installing tube, loosely assembling upper tube and then carefully pressing in (back edge first) gromment anded up working for me.
- replace or at least clean cyclone drain tube whilst in the neighborhood
- If I had three wishes one would have been to have a lift.
- elapsed time for first timer from start to finish (initial attmept resulted in inability to install grommet, 2nd attempt successful....drum roll please....4 hours.

One step closer to awakening the sleeping "beauty"

offered only as my experience good bad or indifferent.

Cheers!

-
~160K miles