View Single Post
Old 08-21-2005, 11:35 PM
mattdave

todays work on the car

Ok we worked on the car today. We put oil in the cylinders adjusted the valves some were tight but not real bad. I made a bone head mistake and just realized I did not put new injector seals in when I reinstalled the injectors. It was around 75 degrees out when we first tried starting it. The engine sounded like it was just failing to start there was a little white smoke out the exhaust defiantly smelt of burnt fuel after a while it no longer sounded like it was firing the smoke was black out the exhaust we ran a new battery dead even jumping it with a tiny running Honda. Out of desperation we tried butane in the intake then tried propane but the tank had a safety valve that would not spray so out of desperation we tried engine starting fluid that got a loud pinging but no start. One point of note was after 20 minutes of cranking and no luck the owner opened the radiator cap to see if there was any oil and it was quite pressurized maybe an eighth of a cup of radiator fluid came gushing out. My 220D would start with no fuel to one cylinder and no glow plugs on a 75 degree day with about 1 minute of cranking. There are no oil leaks around the IP that I would think you would see if the pump had come loose and moved. I wonder if with the compression readings and the water out of the radiator after trying to start it if we are not dealing with a blown head gasket we frankly are at a loss why this car ran well suddenly would not start and shows bad compression. It looks like the PO babied this car I can’t help but feeling that if we could get it to start a good hard drive would not cure it any suggestions at this point greatly appreciated. And for any one that has ever started a 220 or 240 with an automatic transmission do we need a good hill or miles of mountain roads to get a stubborn one started. Thanks in advance
Dave S