View Single Post
Old 08-25-2005, 09:42 PM
Star Crazy

I am assuming that you replacedes the oil also? The post is not very specific.

You need to adjust those valves, no matter what they are at now, you cant hurt it by doing the valves the right way. If you need info on valve adjustment, whunter has a great thread on the topic. Search for it.

Did you take out the injectors and squirt each cylinder with oil before cranking it over? I am hoping that you havent damaged your rings...

Compression test? How hard is it to start?

Definatly do the valves ASAP.

As for power, the turbo shaft should turn over a few times after you spin it by hand quickly. If it doesnt, or stops while turning, you will probably be needed a new turbo. Is the connection of the pressure line between the intake and Alda obscured? If so, the car will act as if it has no turbo.

When does it smoke? At idle? under heavy load? When my car finally got running (with a bad Injection Pump) it smoked like a freight train (quite literally!) and had very very little power, So I would think that your IP is ok.

Have you done a diesel purge yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSK11740
Well, I finally got my "Junkyard Dog" running today. In case I never posted here before, it's a '79 300SD in almost rust free condition that I "rescued" from the local salvage yard. Anyway, to keep it short, it's been sitting for 12 years. After flushing out all the old stuff from the fuel system, new battery, new filters and fuel and a great deal of priming the pump, bleeding injectors, etc, it finally came to life. I even drove it down the street and back.

Now for what I consider the main problems. It's really loud. I mean it "clatters" worse than any diesel I can remember hearing. You can't carry on a conversation with anyone while standing anywhere near it. Once it's moving and engine is under even a slight load, it quiets down and actually sounds pretty good but as soon as I let off the throttle, it starts the loud clattering again. It has great oil pressure (over 30psi just cranking it) and I checked valve adjustment although I can't imagine even really loose valves making that much noise. It makes very little smoke (for a diesel) and no blue smoke. Supposedly the injector pump was was bad and may have been replaced before the car was "parked" but nobody knows for sure. There was a spare IP laying in the trunk but the trunk had a lot of condensation in it and the pump was a pile of rust. I know the owner (good friend) of the yard I got the car from and he told me everything he knew about it but he didn't know if the pump on the car was the good one or the bad one. I'm guessing since it now runs that the pump on the motor is a good one? Another problem is the engine is totally gutless. Very little power. My VW bus could outrun it. I think the turbo is siezed or close to it. I took off the air cleaner assembly and can turn the impeller shaft by hand but it's pretty tight. I'm not so much worried about the turbo as much as the noise. I can replace the turbo. The noise sounds like the car is self destructing!

This is the first diesel (anything) I have ever owned or worked on and I feel preety proud of myself that I even got it running but beyond that, I'm mostly lost. I've learned some things from reading the posts here but I still have a long ways to go. Any help you guys can give me will be gretly appreciated!