View Single Post
Old 08-27-2005, 07:38 AM
dieselarchitect

sorry

you are having trouble. penetrating oil patience time and heat may work. i cant remember ever breakning any myself but maybe i am lucky. if you reinstall with anti sieze you should be fine. because of the steel into al there is apparently some electralisis because i have removed these bolts before to find they are about half worn away.

on the broken bolt. take a center punch and mark the center firmly. then take a drill the same size a little smaller than the solid part of the threaded area and drill on through the length of the bolt and a little more. then tap it with the correct tap. with a little luck you should be back in business. be meticulous on the centering and on keeping your drill perpendicular to the block. take your time... it is worth the effort. too bad po botched it up for you.

good luck.

tom w
[SIGPIC] Diesel loving autocrossing grandpa Architect. 08 Dodge 3/4 ton with Cummins & six speed; I have had about 35 benzes. I have a 39 Studebaker Coupe Express pickup in which I have had installed a 617 turbo and a five speed manual.[SIGPIC]

..I also have a 427 Cobra replica with an aluminum chassis.