View Single Post
Old 08-27-2005, 07:43 PM

1976 300D Engine "Prime"

I recently installed a used 300D engine in my 1976 chassis(115/114 body). The engine, chassis and body have been under various stages of repairs & detailing (my first attempt at a complete ground-up restoration). I removed the injector pump assy for detailing of the engine block. I believe that I have installed it properly and performed a staic timing (as per the MB engine tech. book).

Would there be any damage to the engine if I filled the tank (empty for chassis detailing) and with all 5 injectors removed, cranked the engine over (say 10 seconds cranking then waited for a minute and repeated) to circulate oil back into the galleries/bearings prior to attempting to start the engine.

Would I need to worry about the new glow plugs installed if I am just trying to turn over the engine for oil circulation. I am thinking of disconnecting the wiring to the glow plugs, good/bad idea?

After I have filled the tank and "Manually Primed", up to the injector pump, could I leave off the supply pipes from the injector pump assembly to the injectors and place a simple splash guard and catch basin over the ports during the recirculation stage of engine cranking?